3 Question Blogs #1 ( September 1, 2017 )

Recently I completed a lab based on the density of pennies. During this assignment we had to complete a list of eight procedures. Each procedure had specific steps on how to conduct each part of the lab.  I first started off by recording the dates of the pennies, then I Put the pennies in chronological order oldest on top to newest on the bottom.  In groups of two's I weighed each set of pennies on the  balance pan to find their mass.  I recorded my data on the chart in my packet. After I waited all 14 pennies on the balance I filled a graduated cylinder (with water)  to the 30 ML mark. I then flip the pennies over and placed  them oldest to newest.  I then placed the oldest two pennies in the graduated cylinder and recorded the volume of the graduated cylinder. I repeated these steps until all 14 pennies were in the graduated cylinder. I recorded all of my results onto the data table.  With my data table completely filled out I went on to data analysis and calculations.  I found the density of the first two pennies and the density of all 14 pennies  where the equation that was provided.  I then plotted the data onto a scatter plot (graph). With the scatter plot I was able to find the slope of the line. With all of the information from my data table as well as my calculations I was able to complete the error analysis which resulted in my lab being -0.4% error. After completing all of the lab I then answered three post lab questions based on my results. After completing this lab I have recently learned that several things do change over time and although the change may not be a large change it still has a great impact. For example the  pennies made after 1982 were made with 95% zinc & 5% coooer. While pennies before 1982 are 95% copper & 5% zinc ( zinc has a lower density than copper). Meaning that the composition would affect the density of the pennies, but the density of the two pennies was only 6g/mL and the density of all 14 pennies was only 7.26g/mL. Meeaning that there was only a 1.26g/mL difference between the first two pennies and all 14 pennies. To improve my understanding and learning I will definitely read more carefully next time and take all factors into consideration and use the information that is given to me and apply it to what is happening in the process of the lab. I will also be sure to label all of my information on my data table
To insure that I know which numbers are exactly what value and which category they belong in. Overall I can say that I will reinforce my learning experience by being more precise and paying more attention to the little details as well as all the data provided.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Question blog #2 (September 15, 2017)

3 Question blog #4 (October 13, 2017)

Exploring Changes in Matter